----- Original Message -----
From: Mark question <markq2...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:57 am
Subject: Remote Blocked Transfer count
To: common-user <common-user@hadoop.apache.org>

> Hello,
>
>  I wonder if there is a way to measure how many of the data blocks
> havetransferred over the network? Or more generally, how many times
> where there
> a connection/contact between different machines?

There is a metrics available in Hadoop. Did you check them.
The simplest way to configure Hadoop metrics is to funnel them into a
user-configurable file on the machine running the daemon.  Metrics are
organized into “contexts” (Hadoop currently uses “jvm”, “dfs”, “mapred”, and
“rpc”), and each context is independently configured
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2009/03/hadoop-metrics/
You can view them by JMX.

> I thought of checking the Namenode log file which usually shows
> blk_....from src= to dst ... but I'm not sure if it's correct to
> count those lines.

I wont recommend to depend on logs. Because if some one changes the log, then
it will effect your application.
> Any ideas are helpful.
> Mark

Regards,