Actually I started to play with the latest release 0.23.0 on two nodes
yesterday. And it was easy to start the hdfs. However it took me a while to
configure the yarn. I set the variables HADOOP_COMMON_HOME to where you
extracted the tarball and HADOOP_HDFS_HOME to the local dir where I pointed the
hdfs to. After that I could bring up yarn and run the benchmark. But I am
facing a problem that I could not see the jobs in the UI. And also when I
started the historyserver, I got the following error.

11/11/30 20:53:19 FATAL hs.JobHistoryServer: Error starting JobHistoryServer
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.hadoop.fs.Hdfs
at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:1179)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.AbstractFileSystem.createFileSystem(AbstractFileSystem.java:142)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.AbstractFileSystem.get(AbstractFileSystem.java:233)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileContext$2.run(FileContext.java:315)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileContext$2.run(FileContext.java:313)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1152)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileContext.getAbstractFileSystem(FileContext.java:313)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileContext.getFileContext(FileContext.java:426)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileContext.getFileContext(FileContext.java:448)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistory.init(JobHistory.java:183)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.service.CompositeService.init(CompositeService.java:58)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.init(JobHistoryServer.java:62)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.main(JobHistoryServer.java:77)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.fs.Hdfs
        at
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClassByName(Configuration.java:1125)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:1177)
        ... 14 more
Any clue?

Hailong

* Hailong Yang, PhD. Candidate
* Sino-German Joint Software Institute,
* School of Computer Science&Engineering, Beihang University
* Phone: (86-010)82315908
* Email: hailong.yang1...@gmail.com
* Address: G413, New Main Building in Beihang University,
*              No.37 XueYuan Road,HaiDian District,
*              Beijing,P.R.China,100191