Randy,

On recent releases (CDH3u2 here for example), you also have
"dfs.name.dir.restore", a boolean flag that will automatically try to
enable previously failed name directories upon every checkpoint if
possible. Hence if you have a SNN running, and your NFS failed at some
point and got marked as FAILED on your NN web UI, if the NFS is back
up again before the next checkpoint interval, it will be auto-restored
after the NN deems its in a writable state again.

--
Harsh J