I followed the same tutorial as you. If I am not wrong the problem arise
because you first tried to run a node as single node and then joining it to
the cluster (like Arpit mentioned). After testing that the new node works
ok try to delete content in directory /app/hadoop/tmp/ and insert a new
node to the cluster.When I setup config files on the new node I followed
the following procedure:

DATANODE
        setup config files (look the tutorial)
        /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode
        /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start tasktracker
MASTER
        $hdbin/hadoop dfsadmin -report
        nano /usr/local/hadoop/conf/slaves     (add a new node)
        $hdbin/hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes
        $hdbin/hadoop namenode restart
        $hdbin/hadoop jobtracker restart
        ($hdbin/hadoop balancer  )