Ok,

Here's the thing...

1) When building the cluster, you want to be consistent.
2) Location of $HADOOP_HOME is configurable. So you can place it anywhere.

Putting the software in two different locations isn't a good idea because you
now have to set it up with a unique configuration per node.

It would be faster and make your life a lot easier by putting the software in
the same location on *all* machines.
So my suggestion would be to bite the bullet and rebuild your cluster.

HTH

-Mike