Renuka,

Hadoop poses very basic hardware requirements and can even run
clusters off regular PCs/Laptops you may already have lying around.
This is good enough to get started with for learning/testing purposes.

For deployments, the use-case would define your clusters' memory and
storage needs. The page at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/PoweredBy
also contains some info that might come handy when you consider a
production deployment.