That was another one of our options (PXE/NFS netboot). I'm just afraid of NFS locking on me at random times. If you've had any success with running a live read-only root filesystem off of NFS, I'd be more compelled in using it.

If our image is small enough (~500 MB), it may make sense to perform netbooting, but we'd be running root over tmpfs and we would avoid NFS after we boot the system. The same could be done if our read-only boot device was the USB stick, and our root filesystem would run under tmpfs. The same would apply.