On Monday, February 06, 2012 11:36:10 AM, Keith Wiley wrote:
> I have the first edition of Tom White's O'Reilly Hadoop book and I was
> curious about the second edition.  I realize it adds new sections on some of
> the wrapper tools, like Hive, but as far as the core Hadoop documentation is
> concerned, I'm wondering if there is much difference?  In particular, I was
> curious if it teaches the .20 API?  The first edition explicitly taught .19
> because .20 wasn't quite vetted at the time he wrote it.  He even explains
> that in the book.
>
> Thanks.

I have access to a safaribooksonline account and according to a quick
scan:

What’s New in the Second Edition?
The second edition has two new chapters on Hive and Sqoop (Chapters 12
and 15), a
new section covering Avro (in Chapter 4), an introduction to the new
security features
in Hadoop (in Chapter 9), and a new case study on analyzing massive
network graphs
using Hadoop (in Chapter 16).
This edition continues to describe the 0.20 release series of Apache
Hadoop, since this
was the latest stable release at the time of writing. New features from
later releases are
occasionally mentioned in the text, however, with reference to the
version that they
were introduced in.

you could also check out amazon's "look inside" functionality to check
a few key pages once you find the second edition.

hope this is of some help.