To add onto Rohit's great response on HDFS interaction, and to clear
your confusion here, HDFS does not exactly make itself available as a
physical filesystem like say ext3/4 mount points. The usual way of
interacting with them is by communicating with the services you run,
via RPC calls (over a network).

That said, you can still use the FUSE-DFS connector from HDFS, to
"mount" HDFS as a local file system, and run most of your regular *nix
programs (ls, cat, etc.) on its files after it has been mounted. To
mount HDFS via fuse-dfs drivers, follow
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/MountableHDFS

--
Harsh J