Observe about 50% iowait before even starting clients - that is when there is actually no load from clients on the system. So only "internal" stuff in HBase/HDFS can cause this - HBase compaction? HDFS?

Regards, Per Steffensen

Per Steffensen skrev:
Hi

We have a system a.o. with a HBase cluster and a HDFS cluster (primarily for HBase persistence). Depending on the environment we have between 3 and 8 machine running a HBase RegionServer and a HDFS DataNode. OS is Ubuntu 10.04. On those machine we see very high iowait and very little "real usage" of the CPU, and unexpected low throughput (HBase creates, updates, reads and short scans). We do not get more throughput by putting more parallel load from the HBase clients on the HBase servers, so it is a "real" iowait problem. Any idea what might be wrong, and what we can do to improve throughput and lower iowait.

Regards, Per Steffensen