Let's play devil's advocate for a second?

Why? Snappy exists.
The only advantage is that you don't have to convert from gzip to snappy and
can process gzip files natively.

Next question is how large are the gzip files in the first place?

I don't disagree, I just want to have a solid argument in favor of it...

Mike Segel