On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Raj Vishwanathan <rajv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Darrell
>
> Are the new dn,nn and mapred directories on the same physical disk?
> Nothing on NFS , correct?

Yes, that's correct

> Could you be having some hardware issue? Any clue in /var/log/messages or
> dmesg?

Hardware is good, all logs are clean.

> A non responsive system indicates a CPU that is really busy either doing
> something or waiting for something and the fact that it happens only on
> some nodes indicates a local problem.

Yes, it was a very strange problem, which I seemed to have solved (for
now).  So, yesterday I upgraded the cluster to cdh4, and I found some of
the nodes started to display similar behaviour but was able to catch then
early enough to do something about it, the solution was to remove the
hadoop-env.sh that I had copied over from the cdh3 install, the only thing
I had added to this file was the following which I did to get pig/hbase
talking :

export HADOOP_CLASSPATH="`/usr/bin/hbase classpath`:$HADOOP_CLASSPATH"

What I saw on the machine was thousands of recursive processes in ps of the
form 'bash /usr/bin/hbase classpath...',  Stopping everything didn't clean
the processes up so had to kill them manually with some grep/xargs foo.
 Once this was all cleaned up and the hadoop-env.sh file removed the nodes
seem to be happy again.

Darrell.