From: Satheesh Kumar [mailto:nks...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:51 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Question on MapReduce

Hi,

I am a newbie on Hadoop and have a quick question on optimal compute vs.
storage resources for MapReduce.

If I have a multiprocessor node with 4 processors, will Hadoop schedule higher
number of Map or Reduce tasks on the system than on a uni-processor system? In
other words, does Hadoop detect denser systems and schedule denser tasks on
multiprocessor systems?

If yes, will that imply that it makes sense to attach higher capacity storage
to store more number of blocks on systems with dense compute?

Any insights will be very useful.

Thanks,
Satheesh