Rodney,

There are two things that comprised the 0.20-append branch which added
"append" features, which to break down simply for 1.x:

append() - Available: Yes. Supported/Recommended: No.
sync() - Available: Yes. Supported/Recommended: Yes.

Please also see these links for further info/conversations on this
topic thats happened several times before:

http://search-hadoop.com/m/638TD3bAXB1
http://search-hadoop.com/m/hBPRp1EWELS1

Let us know if you have further questions.

--
Harsh J