I have a two machine cluster and am adding a new machine. The new node has a different location for hadoop.tmp.dir than the other two nodes and refuses to start the datanode when started in the cluster. When I change the location pointed to by hadoop.tmp.dir to be the same on all machines it starts up fine on all machines.

Shouldn't I be able to have the master and slave1 set as:
<property>
<name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
<value>/app/hadoop/tmp</value>
<description>A base for other temporary directories.</description>
</property>

And slave2 set as:
<property>
<name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
<value>/media/d2/app/hadoop/tmp</value>
<description>A base for other temporary directories.</description>
</property>

??? Slave2 runs standalone in single node mode just fine. Using 0.20.205.