Hi,

If you aren't using access lists (include/exclude), just place conf
files (same as other slaves, or tweaked where necessary), and start
them. They will join automatically and you will see them on the live
nodes list immediately. You do not need to run the refreshing commands
when not using the incl./exclude lists.

For HDFS, in case cluster already has some data, make sure to run the
data balancer afterwards. See
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Rebalancer

--
Harsh J