Hello

I'm new to Hadoop and I'm trying to do something I *think* should be easy but
having some trouble.  Here's the details.

1. I'm running Hadoop version 1.0.2
2. I have a 2 Node Hadoop Cluster up and running, with no security enabled

I'm having trouble overriding the username from the client so that the
files/directories created are owned by the user I specify from the client.

For example I'm trying to run:

        hadoop fs -Duser.name=someUserName -conf hadoop-cluster.xml -mkdir
/user/someOtherUserName/test

And have the directory "test" created in hdfs and owned by "someUserName".
Instead it is creating the directory and giving it the owner of the user
(whoami) from the client.  I'd like to override or control that…can someone
tell me how?

My hadoop-cluster.xml file on the client looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>

  <property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>hdfs://server1:54310</value>
  </property>

  <property>
    <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
    <value>server1:54311</value>
  </property>

</configuration>

Thanks for the help

This message and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of
National Health Systems, Inc. and may contain confidential and proprietary
information. This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. You are
hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message, or the taking of any unauthorized action based on information
contained herein is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of information
contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution and
penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this
message immediately and notify the sender immediately by telephone or by
replying to this transmission.