Yeah, I thought about using counters but I was worried about
what happens if a Mapper task fails. Does the counter get adjusted to
remove any contributions that the failed Mapper made before
another replacement Mapper is started? Otherwise in the case of any
Mapper failure I'm going to get an overcount am I not?

Or is there some way to make sure that counters have
the correct semantics in the face of failures?

Peter Marron