Varad,

Looking at the code for the PiEstimator class which implements the
'pi' example, the two arguments are mandatory and are used *before*
the job is submitted for execution - i.e on the client side. In
particular, one of them (nSamples) is used not by the MapReduce job,
but by the client code (i.e. PiEstimator) to generate some input.

Hence, I believe all of this additional work that is being done by the
PiEstimator class will be bypassed if we directly use the job -submit
command. In other words, I don't think these two ways of running the
job:

- using the "hadoop jar examples pi"
- using hadoop job -submit

are equivalent.

As a general answer to your question though, if additional parameters
are used by the Mappers or reducers, then they will generally be set
as additional job specific configuration items. So, one way of using
them with the job -submit command will be to find out the specific
names of the configuration items (from code, or some other
documentation), and include them in the job.xml used when submitting
the job.

Thanks
Hemanth