Ah that's the $64,000.00 (USD) question....

I tend to be conservative so this should be a good starting point.

You start with 2 things... the amount of memory available and the number of
physical cores.

Subtract a core for each main process. e.g. DN, TT, and RS if you're running
HBase.
Take the remaining cores and if you're running on INTEL w HyperThreading
multiply them by 2.
That's the max number of slots you should use when configuring Hadoop.

Note: For each slot, you should have at least 1GB of memory.
You may want to plan on 2GB so your child opts can go up to 2GB before reducing
the number of slots.

So if you have dual hexa-core and run HBase...  it looks like the following:
12 cores less DN, TT, and RS = 9 cores. * 2 so you have 18 slots that can be a
mix of Mappers and Reducers.

That's a good starting position and you can ramp it up based on what you
observe.

YMMV of course.

Note: When I run HBase, I don't want any swapping. So you have to pay attention
to the amount of memory on the system and how its being allocated.

:-)