I am not sure GC had a factor. Even when I forced a GC it cleared 0%
memory. One would think that since the entire NameNode image is stored in
memory that the heap would not need to grow beyond that, but that sure does
not seem to be the case. a 5GB image starts off using 10GB of memory and
after "burn in" it seems to use about 15GB memory.

So really we say "the name node data has to fit in memory" but what we
really mean is "the name node data must fit in memory 3x"