Well... It all depends on where is your bottleneck. Do a benchmark for your
use case if it is critical. Multi-threading might be useful not always. And
you would rather want to avoid having a locally shared mutable state
because it can become a pain to manage. But it doesn't mean you can't do
multi-threading...

You only need to browse the type hierarchy a bit to find about
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.4/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapreduce/lib/map/MultithreadedMapper.html

Regards

Bertrand

--