I got hbase working. The trick was to properly configure the fs.defaultFS and
hbase.rootdir. Other than that hbase does not seem to care about hostname vs
ip address.

Note that I use python to fill my templates, hence the %(hadoop.dfs.master)s
syntax. Here hadoop.dfs.master is an ip address and hbase registers with
hdfs without a glitch.

So far the only glitch I have is the the hdfs webui where the master insists
on calling itself a hostname, which in turn gives me a java stacktrace when
it goes to the slave nodes webui (when browsing the filesystem). It looks
like in the worst case I will have to put the master ip in /etc/hosts but it
would be a lot less trouble than maintaining an entry for every single node.
Still it would be great to have an option to force that name to be the ip
address.