Hi Mike

Data locality has an assumption. It assumes storage access (disk, ssd, etc)
is faster than network data transferring. Vinod has already explained the
benefits. But locality in map stage may not always bring good things. If a
fat node saves a large file, it is possible that current MR framework
assigns a lots of map tasks from single job to this node, and then, congest
its network in shuffle.

I am not sure how EMR is implemented in physical layer. If they are all
virtual machines, it is possible that your "seperate" HDFS cluster and MR
cluster still get benefits from local data access.

Chen