nevermind i resolved it. the solution was bad instructions on the hadoop
site or unclear/misleading instructions.

this is NOT the way to start slave datanode daemons (NOTICE THE SINGULAR
DAEMON).

$HADOOP_PREFIX/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR --script
hdfs start datanode

this is the correct way to start slave datanode daemons (NOTICE THE PLURAL
DAEMONS).

$HADOOP_PREFIX/sbin/hadoop-daemons.sh --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR --script
hdfs start datanode