That was THE reason why I adopted Avalon new wrappers instead. I ported
them out of Avalon and they work just fine. There are NO dependencies
from the rest of the framework except for a formatter that can be
dropped.

I also improved (IMHO) an existing AbstractLoggable class and I am now
porting an XML based configurator for LogKit from Avalon Excalibur. This
one has more dependencies but it is ok.

Next I will adapt the simple property configuration code for LogKit and
Log4J used at Velocity, (will looking at Turbine too).

So, this set includes:
 - Wrappers for Log4J, LogKit and the JDK 1.4 Logging API;
 - Really simple internal logger + NoOp logger;
 - Log4J has its own XML configuration and LogKit gets one;
 - Ability to use a hierarchy of loggers in an API independent way.
   Only the configuration is API dependent.

Will soon (next week) include simple property configuration.

Still no plans on evolving the JDK 1.4 Logging API.

This is the best logging code I found around Jakarta. It just picked
it from several projects and would like to see it together in the
Commons where it would have a wider use. And it is working fine
across a 500 class and 75 Kloc piece of code.

My interest is to keep the functionality I have now without being
alone taking care of it. (Trying to cut on the above numbers.)
=:o)

If there is interest I can put it a "commons" package and post it
tomorrow.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar