On Friday, January 4, 2002, at 01:37 AM, Scott Sanders wrote:

> Any other ideas?  I do not want to break backward compatibility (or do
> we to break compatibility, support more, and then release as 2.0?), but
> I think that this is necessary to expand the flexibility of Digester.  I
> will soon need to expose attributes, as I am working on a more complete
> Xpath implementation.  That way we can also do something like
> "tag/@name" (the name attribute of the tag element).

XPath pattern matching rules would be really cool :)

one way that - in the past - we've got round needing more information
without breaking the Rule interface is to expose more information as
properties on digester. for example, getCurrentElementName() allows rules
to automagically map on the basis of the current element name. i know that
this smells like bad design but it does allow the Rule interface to be
preserved. later, we might feel ready to break the interface, but maybe
not just yet.

- robert