Ted,

>I believe that its possible that not enough of us understand the
>background of the ARMI codebase.
>
>There's a lot going on, and it can be helpful to spoonfeed us old,
>feeble, and bandwith-challenged folk =:0)

Primarily it is an alterative to RMI.  It exports* method calls to other
processes.  It does not need to enforce inheritace of a base interface
(refer 'Remote') not tack on exceptions to the throws of each method
exported (refer 'RemoteException').  As such in can export 'normal'
interfaces.  Even one the original authors throught not remote
accesible.  Now this is not my invention.  A buddy tells me that .NET
has a 'hassle free' method exporting feature.  Graham Glass did it first
with Glue.  Glue is The-Mind-Electric's interface exporter over SOAP.
 It is truly excellent stuff.  Incidentally Graham is the original
author of the legendary ObjectSpace Voyager app-server ( if anyone can
remember back to 96).

* In the PROPOSAL.txt document in CVS, there are fuller details
especially the multiple transports.  The most useful is barely a
transport at all - it is a Pipe implementation that is of direct use to
Avalon (and probably nothing else) as it transport method calls between
classloader leaves in the same VM.

>Given the other tidbits that have come up in this thread, I would now
>toss my binding
>
>+1

I understand that the move cannot happen before it's use anywhere.
 Given that rule (which is fair I guess) I might be inclined to stay
here. However I suspect I will be voted down at any stage, because
people just plain do not see the need.  This makes me feel essentially
unwelcome and that I should just go back to Avalon where I am welcome.

>It's important to understand that the sandbox is open to any Jakarta
>committer, and it's helpful to make an actual proposal, as detailed in
>the Commons charter, so that we know what's what.
>
>If the component is also going to be useful to the Avalon codebase, then
>I would say it has a high potential of being supported in the longterm,
>and would be a welcome addition.

Thanks for taking time to pen a weighty reply.  I am still unsure
whether I am wasting my time here... There have been 100 postings on
politics and 10 on AltRMI (nee ARMI), mostly just me talking to myself
or defending a position.  This group is way more political than Avalon.
 Anyway, thanks for the lengthy and concilliatory reply - you're a
worthy Apache dude. Peace n Love n all that....

Regards,

- Paul H