a bit interesting, this one. i think that processing of whitespace is
parser dependent. so unless digester trims you can get a difference in
behaviour when you changes parsers. (at least, i've always assumed that
this was the reason why this bit of code was written in that way.)

i do agree with the change, though. if a user wants to use a parser that
preserves whitespace then we should allow them to process that whitespace
:)

i might check my facts and see if i can maybe put something in the
documentation.

- robert