Actually, the loading of the driver class is what registers it with the
DriverManager - not the instantiation of the driver class.

The following is from Dirver's doc:

    When a Driver class is loaded, it should create an instance of
    itself and register it with the DriverManager. This means that a
    user can load and register a driver by calling
    Class.forName("foo.bah.Driver")

So in the code I outlined below, the driver IS instantiated and registered
with the DriverManager before getDriver(url) is called.

This is why many drivers have a private constructor -- because a static
block in the driver is responsible for instantiating and registering itself
as the class is loaded.

James