Thanks for the reply, Marc.

I think that, while the official specification is
important, it is more important to stick with the defacto
spec (or at least offer an option to use defacto spec
behavior).

Given that neither Netscape, Mozilla, nor IE follow the
spec (that is, passing params to the redirected URL), and
because most sites specifically state that they support one
of these browsers and no others, there will be a lot of web
sites out there that depend on that behavior.

For example, the application that I am trying to monitor
uses the redirect to say "I'm done processing, now view
this other page", rather than to say "You really should
have gone here in the first place".  I think a lot of
applications out there were built that way (especially JSP
applications) because it worked on IE and Netscape.  At
this point in the game, I would be very surprised if IE and
Netscape ever did implement the spec correctly because they
would be keeping their customers from using many sites and
hence, would lose market share.

Also, if anything would implement the spec correctly,
Mozilla would, and the app I'm monitoring works fine with
Mozilla.

I can try my hand at internally creating a GetMethod on
redirect, but I don't have a lot of confidence that I will
consider everything that probably should be considered.  I
support your idea of creating a new GetMethod for
redirects.  It's a much more O-O way to go and it could
help clean up the HttpMethodBase#execute method too.

I would probably also argue that when spec-compliant
behavior is needed, creating a new PostMethod for the
redirect would be better too.  The simplification and
improved maintainability of the code would more than offset
the minor overhead from creation of another instance.  Even
if, in some probably rare case, it becomes a performance
problem then an internal pool of PostMethods can be used.

Thanks, let me know how to proceed or whether I should wait
for someone else to change it.

Jonathan

=====
Jonathan Carlson