The architecture of Digester is very close to the SAX push parse model.
SAX events are simply dispatched to matching rules. Using a lower-level
API like XMLPULL would just complicate the code, because Digester would
have to translate between the pull and the push model. Not to speak
about API compatibility ;-)

BTW, I *highly* doubt that the SAX parsing is a performance bottleneck
in Digester. I assume that performance is most affected by the
relection/introspection routines that are used to create objects, set
properties, call methods, etc.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de