On 9/22/02 5:35 AM, "Stephen Colebourne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I took a brief look at the velocity link and its mostly about introspection.
> I will take a fuller look in a few days.
>
> The code for [lang] will be simple reflection helpers, not introspection.
> However, the fact that you want to do introspection differently from
> velocity shows to me that we need a commons [introspect] or [clazz] project.

That's not what it shows me. :)

It shows me I wanted to keep jexl and velocity separate.  Velocity has some
required behaviors that aren't general (actually, weird..) and I didn't want
to work around them in Jexl nor force velocity to change.

What I plan to do is sort things out in Jexl, and if indeed it remains
general and not specific to Jexl functionality, sure - I'll happily roll it
out to a commons component.

What I don't want to do is have the tail wag the dog - the introspection
functionality is core to Jexl, and as we found out recently, the desire of
the many don't always match the requirements of the few.

> This would hopefully gather together the introspection code from velocity
> and jexl. It could also enable betwixt and digester to be more flexible in
> matching property methods. This is currently next on my list after [lang]
> reflection. Interested?

Right now, the Jexl code is the Velocity code, and when I dig out of the
current pile of rubble I'm in, the Jexl code will be cleaned up.  That would
be a good candidate for a general package.

So let me see how it works out - again, I don't want Jexl's core
functionality be dictated by the requirement of generalization.  I am all
for generalization if it can be done, but there are some things in the
pipeline for jexl that I'm not sure will work out in a general package.