Jeff Dever wrote:

> I'm torn about this.  I don't think that "bean style" (aka "ass load of
> setters
> and getters") is the answer.  The components in question in HttpClient are
> just
> too big for that to work.  There would be many more _configuration_
> methods in the public interface than anything else.

Then a generic setAttribute ? Or JMX ?

But in general - HttpClient should work as a bean ( or component ) as
part of a larger program, and support configuration/tunning via API
calls.

Even if a hierarchical pull method is prefered - defining HttpClient's
own config API and/or config file is _bad_ ( and I would -1 it ).
Either use an existing API ( jndi, properties, etc ), or propose
a top-level commons package ( as a wrapper on top of existing
solutions ).

Commons component should be easy to integrate in other products and
apps - if they define their own config mechanisms this will be much harder.

Costin

--
Costin