From: "Ceki Gülcü" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Couple of hours ago, I committed changes to DOMConfigurator that
> enable it to deal with any nested tag that is specific to a given
> appender type. It was easier than I initially thought. The code is not
> trivial but not that complicated either.
>
> While the new DOMConfigurator can deal with arbitrary nested tags, it
> cannot deal with new top level tags. At this stage, that does not seem
> to be a severe limitation. With the capability to handle arbitrary
> nested tags, 80+ percent of log4j's needs are met.
>
> Adding support for arbitrary tags *anywhere* within the document will
> entail radical changes which do not seem warranted at this stage.
>
> Your recent commit increases my interest in jelly, but since the
> aforementioned DOMConfigurator changes let us avoid hitting the brick
> wall, we'll stay the course.
>
> Given its stringent reliability requirements, log4j is a special
> case.

No worries; I wanted a simple way to create graphs of beans from inside a
Jelly script anyways. Its very handy in many situations so I wasn't doing
this just for log4j. Plus I think log4j is a special case; there are
possible bootstrapping problems. Jelly uses commons-logging which can use
log4j, so if Jelly/Digester were used to initialize log4j there could be
some tricky bootstrap issues to figure out.

> However, in most other projects it is hard to justify
> an XML processing tool other than jelly. In my humble opinion, the
> missing ingredient is a tutorial consisting of 3 or 4 really simple
> examples and some handholding. Is it possible that such a tutorial
> exists but I've missed it?

You're absolutely right. Much more documentation and tutorials is required.
Once a couple of loose ends are tied up its gonna be my main focus.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/