Depends what the problem is. And, apparently, the 'problem' wasn't in commons,
or commons-sandbox, but in avalon.

However, I gathered that part of the problem was code hosted by Apache that
wasn't formally adopted by Apache. If that's the case, leaving projects in
sandbox for long periods of time exascerbates the problem.

However, if that's not part of the problem, then ignore the suggestion.