Steve Downey wrote:
Delegator is a bound method reference. Triggering the delegator causes a call on a particular method on a particular object. The triggerer doesn't need to be aware of either the object or the method.

There's also a variant that can delegate the call to many objects.

Berin said this was inspired by the C# construct, which means that it's related to the Microsoft J++ extension. Anders Hejlsberg introduced it as part of the framework he implemented. Anders was also the original architect of Borland's Delphi. An interesting interview with him is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndevqa/html/msdn_andersh.asp

(I posted this before, when Berin proposed it)
Inspired by, but the mechanics are different.  Without the ability to change
the language we had to resort to Proxies and interfaces with one method to
describe the delegate.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin