hi Yonatan

i can't tell you any better than:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/volunteering.html

read http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved (and the linked pages) carefully.

also read the pages on our project website (httpL//jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html).

if you want to know now more about the apache software foundation as a whole, browse http://www.apache.org

some tips from me speaking purely personally?

lurk on the lists for the while while you pick up the netiquette and to learn something about the personalities who hang out here.

make sure you read our web site. most developers are naturally lazy when it comes to documentation. if it's up there, it's because someone's sick of having answered the same old question a hundred times.

hang out on the user list and answer user questions. this is an excellent way to learn about our software and is also a big contribution.

finally - find something that can be fixed or done better and...

...submit a patch!

- robert