That is a good point. I've had on blinders thinking more along
the lines of the initial installation of a project, but your point
About getting a later release is well taken. Unless I explicitly look
at the docs, I may miss an important dependency. And today Maven
doesn't really help this situation.

> Especially as I expect to have an INSTALL.txt or README.txt
> [or html] which tells me what I need. We tend to put it on
> the website, which a lot of people probably don't bother to check.
>
> So, maybe Maven could be generating out an INSTALL.txt as
> part of its build or some such. Or maybe the current download
> method of using the default Apache directory is wrong, we
> need a lot of index.html's throughout the build/ directory.

Could get real messy.

> Or we have an xml file in the releases directory called
> requires.xml which an Apache module reads, shows a custom
> Apache directory-page to remind people where to go to get the
> requirements.
>
> I like that idea, it's not java, but neither is Jakarta's
> site. What do you think? [Maven can still generate this xml
> file out as part of the build]

I think this would be a reasonable short-term solution. I'd really
Like to see things move toward a neutral (i.e.,
project-comprehension-tool-agnostic)
xml description of dependencies that could be used by Maven or whatever
Figure out what else needs to be gotten and go get it.