Nope. Looks good, Apache licence too so it's usable. Why am I not
surprised that Strachan is on it :) He gets everywhere. My rule of thumb
is becoming: "it's not an open source Java project if Strachan's not on
it. " [Damn, hurry up and join DbUtils James].

I'll try to learn more about it so that DbUtils doesn't grow in that
direction, which a couple of Mike's suggestions concering the ColumnData
might be getting towards (?).

Assuming you're the Travis who's heading up crossdb.com, what do you
think? Is DbUtils redundant? Can you see a clear separation of concern?
Are there any things you think would go well there.

The reason why I think there's not a cross-pupose:
I'm not an amazing Db coder or anything, I do bits etc. When I look around
at all the libraries to help me with DBs, they all involve me having to
get religious about them, OO-db's, ObjectBridge, Castor/JDO, CrossDB[I
think]. I like getting religious about things, but it's expensive to do
properly [in time], so when I haven't got that time I like to just make
the boring old religion that little bit easier.

One of the issues I believe DbUtils has to watch for is introducing any
religion. So, if someone _has_ to use a framework to get the power, then
we're starting to compete with the other projects and not fitting the
currently empty niche. Idea is just to make JDBC(tm) easier.

Currently I'm wrestling with a DbPoller. It's a simple piece of code which
polls the db to notify something when that table changes. Issues being:

1) I introduce a PKey class to hold a column-data info. Basically akin to
Mike's suggestion. Is this a framework yet?

2) DB-specific. Oracle has some irritating bugs with jdbc and I extend
DbPoller to get OracleDbPoller. This provides some issues for building,
but I'm sure they can easily be fixed. More importantly, should DbUtils
fill up with lots of DB-specific extensions [or in a side repository
anyway].

Another idea is GUID/Sequencers. Would be nice to have a Sequencer
interface and then I make an OracleSequencer which uses a select on
nextval etc, or a MySql sequencer with last_insert_id. Issues being, how
do I enforce the last transaction there? There'd also be java-level
random-number Sequencers, which would use the sequence-id code from
Patterns sandbox, or other ideas.

Is this getting towards a framework?

Thoughts?

Hen