I think it can be used as a direct LL substitute now.  I don't agree that it needs to
extend
LinkedList.  My reason is that someone would have to change at least one line of code,
where the
thing is declared and/or allocated, anyway.  Also, if someone is using a LinkedList as
LinkedList (instead of a List) they're doing things wrong anyway.  The main point of
the
Collections API is the interfaces.  I dunno if that makes me a prig or a purist...
;0)  I will
make a new version that extends LinkedList and see how I like it.

Actually, it looks like I lied earlier when I said that it was exactly like LinkedList
except for
the node caching.  It looks like somewhere along the way I changed the contract of the
getXXX
methods to stop throwing NoSuchElementException.  I agree that that should be changed
back to
support better integration into existing code.

Can you tell me more about the unit testing?

Thanks,

Jeff