----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Varszegi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My Yahoo mail just burped and I don't think it sent my message, but I was
attempting to email you

a reminder about this.  I don't think we should let it go by the wayside.

Jeff

--- Ola Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I would prefer participation in NEW project [converter].
[lang] is used only for general purpose functionality (if I understand
correctly).
In such case it would be possible to put some specific conversion
functionality. Not only for simple types.
Wouldn't it be better if the base mechanisms for converter was in lang,

together with

conversions for simple types? The specific conversions belong IMO not in

a converter package

covering anything from Date to ImaginaryNumber to ResultSet to Money),

but in the different

specific packages where they are actually needed. A converter package

containing specific

conversions for many sorts of types would be too broad in scope.

Instead, the converter mechanism in itself would be really lightweight,

and you only need a

dependency to lang (which you probably want anyway, given lang's general

usefulness and small

footprint).

Another argument: If converter wasn't in lang, we would create cross

dependencies, since chances

are that lang can benefit from the basic conversion mechanisms, and that

converter would benefit

from lang (and needs to be dependent upon lang if the converter is a

variant of Transformation

which is a variant of Closure/Command/Whatever).

Basic conversion could live happily in lang together with basic

Predicate logic, other kinds of

transformations etc. Conversion is such a basic pattern.

/O

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

For additional commands, e-mail:

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>