On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 11:25 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:
<snip>

AFAIK, we've never promised that the BeanUtils or PropertyUtils code
formally support Maps as the *destination* of a property set operation,
even though they are acceptable as the source in certain scenarios.  In
addition, if we're going to support setting via PropertyUtils, we
certainly should support getting for symmetry.
i certainly agree with the point above but... just to be clear (which i probably wasn't before)

the bug (as far as i understand it) concerns setting normal bean properties on a bean that extends Hashtable. i have a bean with a property that is set successfully when the class doesn't extend hashtable. when i change the class definition so that it extends Hashtable, the property is no longer set by PropertyUtils.

so, it seems that this is a bug and isn't related to supporting maps as pseudo-beans (i'll create a new thread for that discussion).

- robert