On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Costin Manolache wrote:

> Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 07:45:52 -0800
> From: Costin Manolache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [digester] collections and default for useThreadClassLoader
>
> In addition to the threadClassLoader:

+1 on changing this default, by the way ... forgot to say that yesterday.

> is there any reason for
> digester to depend on collections ? I see that it is using FastHashmap
> and ArrayStack, but given that it is _parsing_ a file and does a lot
> of super-expensive operations, the performance gains from this use are
> not significant.

I'd be OK with removing this dependency, especially if it could be shown
that the performance difference is insignificant (on which you're probably
right).

> The reason I'm looking into this - I have a lot of problems with tomcat
> in JMX mode, some jars need to get into the parent loader and that
> brakes a lot of stuff. Modeler depends on digester so I need it in
> the top loader - but this drags the whole jakarta-commons.
>
> Same for beanutils ( which is used quite extensively in digester,
> and may be needed in modeler as well ).

In [beanutils] it looks like the only use of [collections] is for
FastHashMap, which is used to cache things that can still be read with no
synchronization locks.  I suspect the performance impacts here would be
more substantial and relevant than the [digester] direct dependencies; it
probably needs more performance analysis before a decision.

> Costin

Craig