I don't want to squash Sean's enthusiasm, but I don't yet understand the need for this modification.

Don't worry about my enthusiasm. I'm just throwing this out as an idea. I can take thoughtful criticism. If we nix this idea, I have some other ideas that I could contribute (eventually folks will like one of them and that will be where I start).

Robert's concern about the attribute is correct, because nothing anywhere in XML guarantees the order of attributes for an element. They're just a soup of names and values.
I was only thinking of grabbing the first attribute because I was making the assumption that in that case it would be the only one (so order wouldn't be an issue.) I wasn't entirely comfortable with that idea, but that's why I threw it out there.

Couldn't Sean achieve his goals with the existing code and using "java.lang.Object" as the base class?
I hadn't thought of that! I think that would work nicely and it would be fairly obvious to somone studying my code what I was trying to do there.

While it's great to encourage participation, it's worth while to exercise restraint with APIs.
Couldn't agree more. We don't want to bloat these great Commons APIs with custom features for one or two programmers. I thought my problem was general enough (and it is) its just that everything I need is already there (although hard to find without a lot of documentation or examples).
Ultimately, if Sean really doesn't like the ObjectCreateRule, I would suggest that in this case he should just write his own rule implementation that behaves the way he needs it to.
Now that I've pieced together how to do this with current code I agree with Joe that the patch isn't really necessary. Believe me, I did look over the existing code before charging in with a feature request. Perhaps I can make a contribution in the area of improved documentation (perhaps example programs) when the time comes for that?

I've actually got a few other ideas I'm mulling over. I'll submit them to the group for consideration when they're a little more flushed out.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

Sean