Stephen Colebourne wrote:
Let me attempt to demonstrate why multiple jars won't work. Imagine we do
the split of [lang] into jars based on Common Reuse/Reuse-Release
Equivalence/Common Closure Principles.
<snip/>

So, 22 new commons components. <sarcasm>Now thats a good idea isn't
it</sarcasm>
:) Fragmentation and Separation are two completely different things.
I think you hit on that one pretty well.

<snip/>

Should we complain that the JDK contains stuff we don't use?
I do--but it doesn't do any good.  I'd say on any one project I only
use 10% of what is in the JDK.  That is because J2SE is so vast.  I
don't need all of it.  I think there is merit to lessening the weight
of downloading 30 MB all at one time if I can have the install only
download what I am using.  Core stuff like java.lang, java.util,
and java.text are important right off the bat.  However my server
projects don't use javax.swing and java.awt--and my GUI projects
don't always use java.security and java.net.

If the JDK was split into several 100-400 KB JARs, and only downloaded
what I needed--then Sun could provide partial upgrades and fix bugs alot
quicker and I would only ever have to download what I needed.

There is a limit.  When you get down into JAR files that are roughly
the same size as a Class or two, then it is ridiculous.  However,
I can see a separate JAR at the package level.

Keep in mind a new JAR doesn't necessarily mean a new project....