Hi, I am importing a discussion to Commons Dev that has been going on in HttpClient, XML-RPC, and off-list in private e-mails.

Tim O'Brien thus spake:

My personal feelings here are that we should have some flags for RFC
compliance - if you want to be warned on invalid characters/whitespace, set
a flag.... If you want to throw an exception on an invalid exception, set a
flag.... If you want a trailing newline for RFC compliance, set a flag. By
default, we'll maintain compliance, and it is up to the user to set some
boolean properties to alter behavior. We'll make it very clear in the
documentation what the default behavior is.

Feel free to open this discussion up to a mailing list. I'm only keeping it
private because the conversation was started in private. We shouldn't make
any decisions in a private discussion, but
I can't help but think this is a more general issue that has been seen in many projects. I have seen similar discussions on the HttpClient list for things like setting HTTP 1.1 mode.

Perhaps Jakarta Commons should settle on one way to do configuration? In XML-RPC we have started using a setProperty() method with constants for property names. In Avalon, they have a first class Configuration class, with setAttribute methods.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks