If you are going to include the entry ending in the same regular expression that you
use to break the entries down you either have to

1) parse the whole thing as you are breaking apart the entries, essentially doing away
with the idea of not creating the FTPFile entries right away
OR
2) parse it twice, on the first pass not attempting to break it down further than the
entry delimiter, and then parsing it fully on the second pass.

Since the regular expression is undoubtedly much more complicated than the first pass
requires, the problem with 2) is that it might be very inefficient.

I see two alternatives here:
3) Make each parser have TWO regular expressions, a simpler one for delimiting entries
and the current one for breaking them down into FTP Files.

4) Use a non-regular expression method for delimiting entries probably on the java.io
level, similar to what readLine() does.

However neither of these would work in the VMS case you describe if there is no
delimiter that can be looked ahead for, that is, if the delimiting is done solely by
context using the "algorithm" that "the next entry starts when the last entry is
finished".  Is that the case or is there some sort of delimiter?

The readLine() method of delimiting entries was something I copied from the
DefaultFileListParser.  My mistake was in assuming that that approach could be
generalized everywhere.