<Arnd>In general I do not like abbreviated words as identifier names.  My
reasoning is that it obfuscates the programmers intention and may
imply futile documentation.  I don't think that "eval()" obfuscates
"evaluate()", but this is obviously just my opinion since "eval()"
does appear awkward to you as a replacement for "evaluate()".</Arnd>

The name "evaluate()" makes sense to me. I think names are very important
and while abbrevs tend to produce more compact code (an arguable benefit),
the cost is maintainability: understanding of produced code for years to
come by others.