Al Chou wrote:

OK, I hope the article we want is available online, given that it's pretty
old.

Strangely, it's actually the recent stuff that is not available. JSTOR has
American Statistician from 1947-1997. If you want a chuckle, have a look at
http://www.jstor.org/about/movingwall.html, which explains the rationale for
this.

It's all about money, eh? Well, as long as we have access to what we need, that's fine. Incidentally, I'm much more accustomed to seeing online editions directly from the publisher, which explains why I expected only issues more recent than some date to be available.

Al

Yes, the deal is that JStor would undercut the publishers profits from printing if they exposed an article too soon. JStor isn't a "publisher", just a "digital library". Its the publishers choice to provide access online to the article, if they decide not to release it online, its to promote subscriptions to the printed copies.

IMHO, in cases where we can't find references to content that is publicly available, we should feel ok about referencing a "semi-protected" source like a journal article as long as its abstract is public and its content is accessible at educational institutions.
-M.